Consular Processing

Legal Permanent Resident Status Through Consular Processing

If you are trying to get your legal permanent residence (LPR) status in the U.S. (green card) typically you must go through consular processing or adjustment of status

Consular processing is the process where you apply for LPR status at a consulate or U.S. Embassy in another country.  To do so you must do the following:

  1. Your U.S. Citizen or LPR relative must submit the I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and get it approved. This petition establishes that you have an eligible relationship with a U.S. Citizen. Eligible relationships include:

    Spouse of U.S. Citizen or LPR’s
    Minor (under age of 21) Children of a U.S. Citizen or LPR’s
    Unmarried Sons and Daughters (over the age of 21) of U.S. Citizens or LPR’s
    Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
    Parents of U.S. Citizens
    Brothers and Sisters of U.S. CitizensThe type of relationship determines whether there is a visa immediately available for you or whether you will have to wait until one becomes available.

  1. Once your I-130 is approved your case is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. You will have to pay the immigrant processing fees and submit the application along with supporting documents.
  2. Once the National Visa Center has received all fees, applications, and documents they will send you an appointment for an interview at a consulate or U.S. Embassy. Before going to that appointment you will need to schedule a medical examination and an appointment for biometrics (fingerprint background check).
  3. If approved, you will receive a visa to enter the United States and they will mail you your LPR card (green card) to your new address in the U.S.

The length of time this process takes varies depending on the type of relationship to the U.S. Citizen or LPR relative and the country from which you are applying. To learn more call us at 303.317.5516 and schedule a consultation.